- Major challenge in the process of developing unreﬁned data into polished intelligence for the use of policy makers emphasizing in intelligence disciplines such as Open Source (OSINT), Signal (SIGINT) and others
- This results in inability to gain insights to Person of Interests, Suspicious events / activities etc. from across disparate sources of info esp. unstructured ones.
- Existing tools and techniques do not aid in finding today's complex and adaptable threats within mission guidelines. This coupled with poor data visibility, and inadequate capability to effectively access, discover and share information sources.
- Data proliferation are overwhelming users as there is a lacking of techniques and tools to efficiently process, store, analyze and retrieve vast amounts of data.
- Develop an architecture that enables rapid integration of existing and future data exploitation tools to achieve a new paradigm in the management and analysis of data.
- Develop techniques to extract entities from unstructured text, speech and video and discover relations and patterns associated with terrorist activities.
- Evidence Extraction - people, places, things, events, etc.
- Link Discovery - relations between different types of entities
- Pattern Learning - attack plans, terrorist group relationships, etc.
- Robust classifications to accurately detect, register, classify and identify data and events.
- Automation tools to visualize relationships, patterns of activities
- Homeland-specific tools to capture, search, mine and exploit information from unstructured text and non-text sources.